Monday, July 26, 2010

Needs Your Help

I received the following email this month:
I am originally from Rutherford County (Ellenboro), my father was from Hollis, and I had relatives in Golden Valley (Paul Jones family).

My cousin, Reba Jones Willis, directed me too your website. She is pictured in the ice cream social.

I am interested in even an earlier history of the area. There were a number o people termed "Free Persons of Color" living in the area in the late 1700s - early 1800s, including the Going?Goins family (William and wife Hester?).

Also, Hester/Ester "Gantanaga" Black Thompson and husband Nathan "Dutch" Thompson (Methodist minister) were at the head of the Little Broad (First Broad) before migrating to Soco Creek around 1800. She was considered to be "Black Dutch." Some, however, thought her to be Cherokee, but I doubt it. Cherokee was a cover - term. I have talked with a number of Cherokee linguists and no one has identified Gantanaga. In fact, it appears to be a name from Indian. even a Roma (Gypsy name), but I have had Roma scholars tell me it would not have been carried over through the years from Indian.

Would you have any information on the early history of the head of First Broad? There is also supposed to be an old "Indian" cemetery somewhere in the area (Casar, Ward's Gap?).

Thanks for any information,

Scott Withrow
swithrow@earthlink.net

No comments: